March 17, 2012

Rainy Day Projects
This winter has been a wet one for us here in Oregon. The rain has been relentless. To keep myself  from going crazy I decided to start some projects to help me stay busy and give me something to do so I wouldn't get cabin fever. Here are some pictures below of just a few of the projects I've been working on. I apologize for  not taking better before pictures. I am horrible at doing the before and after shots. I hope you like them as much as I do. 

 This was the only before picture that I had of that cute little black frame on the left. 
 This is the after picture. I first took the glass out of the frame and sprayed the frame with Kilz primer. I then painted the frame with Crylon Sea breeze blue spray paint. Then I glazed the frame with Ralph lauren faux glaze in a deep brown color. This I learn how to do from brook at allthingsthrift.com 
 I did the same thing with the spray paint and glaze to this darling little lantern that I found at goodwill for $4.99 and these stars below that I got from a friend. The stars were black originally. 

 After picture of the stars.
 See how a little bit of color adds so much to this beautiful hutch?! It makes me sooo happy.
 Sorry for the lack of before pictures with this project. I was in the craft mode and just wanted to get things done so I didn't think about taking pictures. These frames used to be all black with different pictures and the were hung by black ribbon. They were just hanging on the wall in my family room. I painted and glazed them just like the above items. I then put baby pictures in them of Parker (on the right) and Tanner (on the left). Changed the ribbon to match and then placed them on these darling isles that I hung on the wall. 

This was a fun and totally easy project. Years ago, back when Ryan and I first got married, Ryan made this large frame for the entertainment center he was building. We never used it and it has been collecting dust in our garage for almost 10 years. So after seeing this really cute magnet board project that my sister made and put in her kitchen, I decided I wanted to use this frame to make a magnet board for my front room. So here it is all primed and ready to go.
Here it is painted with Crylon Sea Breeze blue spray paint just waiting to be glazed.
The glaze really makes all the cool details pop out. 
I purchased a large piece of metal from Lowes and cut it with tin snips to fit the frame. When my sister did this  project she just made a frame to fit the metal. The size of the metal is 36x 24 in. I just cut it because I already had this frame. Then my cute hubby hung it on the wall for me and I added these little magnets that I made. I hang all the announcements and invitations on this board instead of cluttering up my fridge. 
I love the above quote and decided it would be nice to have it on my hutch as part of my decor. I already had the frame and the isle so I just needed to purchase the vinyl. I got the vinyl from a friend for $10.00. I placed the vinyl on the frame and then put some cute scrapbook paper behind to make it stand out. If you can't read the quote very well because the picture isn't great this is what it says. "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away".  
These projects were super easy and very inexpensive to make. I am still not done sharing all my projects with you. So stay tuned for more fun reveals. :)

0 comments: